>>>>gt;>>t;>>>>>>>>Four years seems like a long time when you're eleven years old, but in the blink of an eye it was gone. This is all that's left.

Friday 14 February 2014

Easter




As the remnants of my hymn book were only fit for throwing away, my school report book took on more importance. It didn’t matter that the Christmas exams had been disastrous; that report book held memories of happier times and I wanted to take it with me. My enquiries led me to the office area.

‘We’ll send it on to you,’ said a lady who clearly wasn’t interested. If she’d bothered to look at me when she said it I might have believed her.

On Wednesday March 25th 1970 Upbury Manor broke up for the Easter holiday. On that same day, quietly and without fuss, I left. At the upper school gate that afternoon Paul and John turned around to see what I was doing when I held back.

‘In two strides I won’t be a schoolboy anymore,’ I said.

Though I didn’t have a hymn book or a report, I stepped over the invisible line with friends, laughter and a thousand memories. It wasn’t a bad way to go.





No comments: