>>>>gt;>>t;>>>>>>>>Four years seems like a long time when you're eleven years old, but in the blink of an eye it was gone. This is all that's left.

Thursday 13 February 2014

March 1970

Playing rugby during a PE lesson on the top field, I looked on as Raymond Wright sprinted towards the posts to score a try. Only one boy stood in his way, a new kid called Fisher, who’d joined 4A1 in January. Though he wasn’t the biggest of kids, he was fearless and he didn’t flinch as Raymond sprinted towards him. I winced as he stooped to take Raymond head on and stop him in his tracks. Crunch! Fisher’s bravery didn’t save a try – Raymond slipped the ball to a supporting team mate – but that didn’t stop me admiring his courage.


Gerry Harley, a local barber, made the national newspapers when he set a world record for shaving hundreds in a day with a cut throat razor. I’d have been more impressed if one of them hadn’t been John Tomlin, who’d nipped down to Gerry’s barbershop that dinner time.

‘Tomlin? You’re joking. What, with his bit of bum fluff?’


At ten to four I looked for Paul and John at the upper school gate. Seeing no sign of them, I walked back into school and hopped onto the low wall facing the bike sheds, hoping to spot them in the multitude. Though I didn't see them I did notice Michael Elcombe, a fourth year I knew by sight, jumping on the wall at the far end. With his arms splayed to assist his balance, he started walking tightrope-fashion. From a long way off I guessed his intention and I had a pretty good idea what was coming next.

 ‘Come on, get down,’ he said, when he came to the only obstruction between him and the gate – me.

I shook my head. On another day I might have got off the wall when I saw him coming, but not this day.

‘Oh come on!’

Again I shook my head. Michael waited. I waited. We were still deadlocked when Paul and John came by. From my demeanour they could see something was wrong. ‘Are you coming?’ Paul asked.

I shook my head. ‘Not yet.’

Bemused, Paul and John went on without me. The exodus had slowed to a trickle before Michael tried again.

‘Are you getting down?’

‘No.’

Whatever the consequences, I was ready to face them. The next move was Michael’s. He stared at me intently, like he was considering the options. Then, without another word, he jumped off the wall. I had nothing against Michael but after stepping aside for anyone and everyone throughout my school life, I’d just had enough.



No comments: